Location: Luanda (citywide)
Event: Members of Angolan civil society have called for a citywide protest in Luanda on Saturday, June 17, 2023 to protest the recent increase in gasoline prices. News reports state similar protests recently resulted in five deaths in Huambo and one in Namibe. At this time, there is no clear focal point for the protest. Current reporting solely states that activists have called for a “citywide protest.” Please be aware that protests can unfold anywhere around Luanda at any time.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds – use caution and avoid areas where large groups of people may congregate, or traffic may be congested
- Keep a low profile – do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches, or using a smart phone in public
- Notify friends and family of your whereabouts and safety
- Be aware of you surroundings – use caution and limit your movements
- Review your personal security plan
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.