DEMONSTRATION ALERT: U.S. Embassy Luanda, Angola
Location: Largo da Independência
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on Saturday, March 17, at the Largo da Independência (Primeiro de Maio) beginning around 10:00 AM. We encourage you to avoid the area and surrounding streets and to monitor local media for updates.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Always exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gathering, protest, or demonstration.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Angola.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Angola, located at Rua Presidente Houari Boumedienne, 32, Luanda, Angola, at (244) 222-641-000, (244) 222-445-481, 222-445-727, or 222-446-096, The after-hours emergency numbers for U.S. citizens are (244) 923-404-209 and (244) 923- 640-154.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.