The United States has over 3,500 universities, and every year thousands of students from all over the world enroll to study for undergraduate, master’s, doctoral and professional degrees at an extremely diverse number of schools. The U.S. Embassy in Luanda sponsors an Educational Advising Center (EAC) designed to assist Angolans who seek information on studying in the United States.
Basic Information about Studying in the U.S.
- The U.S. Government issues approximately 250 visas each year to Angolans for study in the USA.
- Average cost per year per student for university study, including books and housing is about $20,000 (U.S. dollars).
- Most students from outside of the United States do not receive financial aid to attend school.
The EAC provides a comprehensive array of resources and services to Angolans who wish to study in the United States. A small fee is charged for these services. The center can assist prospective students for undergraduate, graduate, professional, doctoral, secondary and specialized English language study. The EAC can assist students in assessing their qualifications for admission and for scholarships but neither the EAC nor the Embassy has any influence on admission decisions. Also, with the exception of Fulbright Scholarships and Humphrey Fellowships, neither the EAC nor the Embassy has any scholarships or funding available for Angolan students.
If you want to learn more about studying in the United States, please send your information request in writing by fax, letter or email, indicating your name and a clear description of the type of information you need. The EAC is located in the Public Affairs Section and is open to the public from Monday through Thursday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 AM. The EAC is closed all official United States and Angolan holidays.
The EAC provides the wide range of educational services, including:
- An educational advisor to provide professional advice about the US educational system and the admission process.
- A library with the most comprehensive collection available in Angola of information on study in the United States.
- A testing center for the standardized tests TOEFL and GRE that are required to apply for university study in the United States, which also sells test preparation materials.
- Computer resources including CD-ROM test preparation and university search as well as Internet access for information and communication with universities.
- Information on scholarships, fellowships and grants.
- Group sessions, which provide an introduction to the structure of American higher education as well as information on the application process.
To repeat, the Educational Advising Center cannot offer scholarships, cannot guarantee anyone admission to a university or college, and cannot guarantee that anyone will qualify for a visa.
Public Affairs Section
Rua Houari Boumedienne, 32 – Miramar
Tel: 244 – 222 – 641122
Fax: 244 – 222 – 641232