Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders are intensive academic programs whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. Institutes include a four-week academic residency and a one-week study tour to a different part of the United States. Leadership sessions and community service activities, as well as getting to know Americans, are also integral components of the Institute.
- be between 18 and 25 years of age with proficiency in English;
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
- be interested in the topic of Civic Engagement;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and civic engagement;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
For general information about the Institute, click here: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/study-us-institutes-student-leaders
Applications for Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders are now closed.
Click in following hyperlink for the application form (PDF 91 KB). The form must be completed in English and sent via email to: PASInboxLuanda@state.gov.