U.S. mid-term elections and you
An important date for Americans is fast approaching — the 2018 mid-term elections.
The Department of Defense runs the Federal Voting Assistance Program, which assists Americans living overseas register to vote in their home states, and how to receive ballots overseas. More information is available at FVAP.gov.
Elections officials remind voters to complete and submit their ballots as soon as possible, in order to allow time for the return trip to the United States.
The U.S. Embassy in Luanda can assist in returning ballots to the United States quickly. Voters should bring their completed and sealed ballots to the Consular Section at U.S. Embassy on Mondays through Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., and on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We will forward the ballots to the U.S. Postal Service in the United States free of charge.
Most states provide printable address labels for ballot envelopes, and most of the address labels note that the envelopes can be mailed through the U.S. Postal Service without postage, but individual circumstances may vary.
The U.S. Embassy is located at Rua Houari Boumedienne #32 in the Miramar section of Luanda.
We also are enclosing a link to the latest issue of The AmCit newsletter, which is geared for Americans living in Angola. The August 2018 issue has a full-page article that provides more details about the Federal Voting Assistance Program and overseas voting overall. Here’s the link: https://ao.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acs-newsletter/.
Finally, Federal Voting Assistance Program officials can serve as advocates for voters and facilitate communication between voters and election officials. FVAP’s call center is open Mondays through Fridays from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Call 1-800-438-VOTE (8683) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Angola.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Angola, located at Rua Presidente Houari Boumedienne, 32, Luanda, Angola, at (244) 222-641-000, (244) 222-445-481, 222-445-727, or 222-446-096. The after-hours emergency numbers for U.S. citizens are (244) 923-404-209 and (244) 923- 640-154.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Follow the U.S. Embassy Angola Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/USinLuanda/.