Event: Holidays in Angola provide increased risk for criminal activity. There is a heightened risk of armed robbery, assault, and kidnapping. Foreigners in Angola are often perceived by criminals to have gifts or large amounts of cash.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season and at holiday events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Luanda, Angola
- (244) 222-641-000, (244) 222-445-481, 222-445-727, or 222-446-096.
- (244) 923-404-209 and (244) 923- 640-154 (after hours)
- State Department – – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Angola Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.