Location: Rua Nova Marginal in Luanda. Entrances to the Carnival celebrations are located in the following areas: Praia de Bispo, Bairro Azul, and along the Rua Nova Marginal road in Chicala.
Event: Carnival starts Friday, February 17, 2023. Previous years have seen an increase in vehicular and pedestrian traffic in and around the area. Expect heavy traffic throughout the city from February 18-22, 2023. As the first major Carnival celebration post-COVID, record turnout is likely.
There will likely be intermittent road closures throughout the weekend. U.S. government personnel are advised to use alternate routes for travel to and from the southern suburbs.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Keep a low profile.
- Avoid crowds.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
+ (244) 222-64-1000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.