Location: Kinaxixi neighborhood of Luanda
Event: A small group of election workers protested over payment in the Kinaxixi area of Luanda earlier this morning. There were reports of crowd control using live gun fire and/or teargas. There is a possibility for additional protests in the coming days with the potential to impact U.S. citizens in the area.
Actions to Take: U.S. citizens are advised to review this list of recommended actions:
- Protests can unfold anywhere around Luanda at any time.
- Use caution and avoid areas with large groups or people congregating.
- Exercise increased awareness of your movements.
- Take precautions to avoid traffic congestion, where you can become a target of criminal activity.
- Commute with friends, if possible.
- Always have a fully charged communication device on your person.
- Check in with friends and family to let them know you are okay.
For Further Assistance:
(244) 222-641-000, (244) 222-445-481, 222-445-727, or 222-446-096
(244) 923-404-209 and (244) 923- 640-154 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs (888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.