The U.S. Embassy has received information regarding a potential security threat in Luanda, Angola. As a precautionary measure, the U.S. Embassy advises U.S. Citizens to avoid the following three locations:
- Belas Shopping (located in the Talatona area of Luanda)
- Ulengo Commercial Center (located in the Viana area of Luanda)
- Hotel Baía (located along the Nova Marginal in Luanda)
This security advisory is effective immediately and will remain in place until February 8, 2016 unless an additional notice is provided by the U.S. Embassy.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Angola.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Angola,located at Rua Presidente Houari Boumedienne, 32, Luanda, Angola, at (244) 222-641-000, (244) 222-445-481, 222-445-727, or 222-446-096, After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (244) 923-404-209 or (244) 923- 640-154.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.