Current regulations reflect the long-standing policy of the Department of State that no person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport at any time unless specifically authorized by the Department of State.
The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. The second valid passport may not be limited geographically, i.e. for travel in only a few countries. It will, however, be limited in time, valid for a period of two years.
A second passport is not to be issued for convenience.
A second passport will be issued when an American citizen’s primary passport is unavailable due to delays in visa/ immigration processing and the person has imminent travel within three weeks.
To apply for a second valid passport, the applicant will need to submit the following documents:
- Completed passport application form DS-82 or DS-11, as appropriate;
- A copy of the receipt from immigration showing the primary passport was turned in;
- A copy of a plane ticket or itinerary showing the date of travel;
- A signed written statement giving the reason(s) why the second passport is required (include immigration receipt if it has been due to visa processing purposes) and attesting that the loss of either of the two passports will be reported immediately to Passport Services, or if abroad, to the nearest U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or Consular Agency.
- Two colored photographs, 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches), head size from chin to top of head minimum 25 mm (1 inch), maximum 35 mm (1 3/8 inch), on a white, plain background, not including any white frame, identical and taken within the last 6 months, printed on normal photographic paper, full face (no hat, sunglasses, bandana etc.).
- Passport fee: $110.00 (DS-82) or $135.00 (DS-11 adult) or $105.00 (DS-11 minor under 16).
Ordinarily a second passport will be issued in two weeks. If imminent travel is in less than two weeks, an emergency passport, good for one year will be issued. The emergency passport can then be replaced by a second limited no fee passport.